Thursday, January 31, 2013

Parents Life Balance

Good Evening All!! It's a good day although in NJ there was a lot of wind last nite.

I was getting ready to go teach my classes at the college and my thoughts went out to moms/dads as we balance so much in our daily lives. We work hard to take care of our families. Many of us are stay at home moms/dads, many work from home, out of the home, and some of us work for ourselves.

As we work toward keeping our families solid, many of us forget to take care of ourselves. We don't "honor ourselves", as my good friend, Life Coach Caryl Lucas says. I know I can put way too much on myself, all the time. The expectation I have for myself is sometimes more than anyone has of me, as a mom, wife, professor even as a Parenting Coach/Expert.

I mentioned to Caryl how sometimes "even I feel overwhelmed" and what she said to me blew me away. She said that while listening to Power Coach Martin Cann she learned that "when you say you are overwhelmed, you become more overwhelmed. So instead, take a break and sit down. Then ask yourself what is overwhelming you and stop over booking, stretching yourself thin and worrying. When we are not rested and overbooking ourselves, resources and energy, we can become overwhelmed. But do not affirm it, or we will get more of it." I love that wisdom, and had to share.

So today, I challenge you to make sure you take time for yourself, even if that means; sitting quiet while drinking your coffee/tea, getting to work early to sit in the car for 20 minutes before you start your day or taking the long way home.

In the words of Caryl Lucas "honor yourself", do not affirm overwhlem.






Caryl Lucas is a Life Coach and Motivational Speaker
www.caryllucas.com